The Women’s Empowerment Award is an award developed and given out by the Women’s Leadership Committee of the WBU. This award goes to a woman who is blind or partially sighted who has worked to empower other women. The empowerment Award will be awarded at the quadrennial WBU General Assembly.
This award is granted to one woman who has made a substantial and outstanding contribution to women who are blind or partially sighted through international service or to the WBU over a long period of time. This award has a monetary value of $1000 and is only given to individuals, NOT organizations.
Empowering women to participate fully in economic life is essential to build stronger economies and improve the quality of life for women, men, families and communities. Therefore, the WBU Women’s Committee feels that this award will encourage others to participate more fully.
Individuals, groups of individuals, or national members may prepare an application for a person to be considered to receive the Women’s Empowerment Award.
Completed applications are to be addressed to the Chair WBU Women’s Leadership committee and must be received on or before 31 March 2020. Applications should be sent in MS Word format to the Office of the World Blind Union at:
1929 Bayview Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario, M4G 3E8
Applications should be marked ‘Attention to the Chair, WBU Women’s Leadership Committee
Nominators Contact Details
Relationship to nominee:
Provide a brief biography of the nominee (up to 250 words).
Statement in support of nomination
Please enclose a statement (1,000 words maximum) in support of this nomination. The statement should provide:
- A summary of the contribution the individual has made for women who are blind or partially sighted or to the WBU;
- The reason they should be awarded this prestigious award – what they have achieved, obstacles they have overcome, their outstanding results, innovations they have led, and the impact of their achievement for people who are blind or partially sighted worldwide.
Women’s Empowerment Award Guidelines and Criteria
- Enough time (three months) should be given for regions to submit nominations.
- Regional leadership will be a crucial aspect of selection the finalist. The following procedure was proposed to insure regional input:
• Nominating applications will be reviewed by regional presidents who will send them to a designated group to review and make recommendations. That regional group will pick a certain number of nominees that they will submit for final review by the WBU selection committee. The selection committee will make a final decision to recommend to the table officers for approval.
3. The selection committee should have appropriate regional representation and the selection should take into account regional input.
A selection committee was formed. The selection committee members are: Donatilla Kanimba, Chelsea Mohler, Louise Gillis and Fred Schroeder